Yesterday Tesla held an autonomy investor day. Elon Musk made some bold statements which will divide opinion as Tesla & Elon love to do.
Some of the predictions:
- Every Tesla will be fitted with a new autonomous chip which will make autonomous driving available for all
- By mid 2020 autonomous driving will mean Tesla drivers will not have to pay attention to the road
- Cars that can run for over 1 million plus miles
- Over one million autonomous Tesla taxis in 2020 that are “Level 5” automated, potentially making their owners $30,000 a year in profit
I can’t remember where I read it but on the last point, I think Blackberry maybe working on a operating system to make this available for any modern car. It works something like this:
- Get home & park you car on the drive
- You don’t plan on using it for a while so you mark it as ‘available’
- Someone uses an app on their phone for a taxi
- Your car drives off on its own & performs its taxi duties
- The fare appears in your digital wallet & your car is back on the drive ready for you to do the weekly shop
2020 is not very fair away, will be interesting to see how this plays out.